Friday, December 11, 2009

Tuning into the future

2009 is still a fair few days from packing its bags and taking a hike (and the SWSL end-of-year lists are a lot further away than that, let me add), but the BBC have already posted their ones to watch for 2010. Good to see Stornoway getting a mention, but on first impressions the band/act that grabbed me the most were definitely The Drums. As suggested, featured song 'Let's Go Surfing' does indeed manage to sound both breezily surf-pop and effortlessly 70s Noo Yoik. Wavves for people who are precious about their ears, basically.

They've also assessed the impact of 2009's crop - unsurprisingly, most met with significant success, not least because they were already being pushed vigorously and steered calculatedly. Lady Gaga, Florence And The Machine, La Roux and Little Boots - I'm looking at you. But there were flops, including a lukewarm response for Passion Pit - it seems I was roughly in tune with the general public when it came to my thoughts on them back in February.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Claire said...

I'm quite a fan of passion pit, excluding their name. It's a pity they haven't done better but I probably won't miss them too much.

11:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home