Friday, April 06, 2007

In The Dock: Glastonbury - verdict

In favour of Martin's case for the prosecution: 4 (Ian, James, Dead Kenny, Wan)

In favour of Swiss Toni's case for the defence: 7 (Ben, Caskared, Nick The Snick, Damo, Desmond, Mark, drmigs)

Abstentions: 1 (Alison)

The jury has spoken and Glastonbury is hereby pronounced not guilty. Closer than I (and Martin too, I think) anticipated, though.

Coming next week: Del and Phill go head-to-head over Guns 'N' Roses.

Meanwhile, on the subject of festivals, check out Simon's guide to some of the smaller events taking place this summer - just to make sure nothing's slipped under the radar. The Summer Sundae bill is looking a whole lot healthier than it did a week or so ago, and the presence of Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks at Green Man may sway me thataway. Just don't start reeling off the list of bands appearing at the forthcoming (and sold-out) All Tomorrow's Parties weekender, curated by Dirty Three, as I may start to cry...

6 Comments:

Blogger Damo said...

Guns 'n' Roses? That one classic album, but all that has gone since... well, unlike Glastonbury, for this one I am entirely going to be swayed by whoever puts forward the best argument.

(Hint to defence: don't mention "November Rain")

9:07 pm  
Blogger swisslet said...

November Rain? But what about that bit in the video where Slash leaves the church where Axl is getting married and suddenly he is standing in the desert in his top hat and launches into an epic guitar solo.... what's not to love?

ST

10:24 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Arse.

As this is the first time that the 1989 winner of the Alderman Llewellyn Davies Debating Prize Fund has been beaten in public I think the only reasonable recourse is to fall upon my sword. Enjoy Shirley Bassey on Sunday. ;-)

Guns 'n' Roses? Interesting. Fantastic first album in its context. Depends on where the prosecution and defence go from there, though.

11:32 pm  
Blogger Ian said...

Guns 'n' Roses are shit, INCLUDING the first album, so the defence is going to have to have a awfully well-written argument to get my vote.

4:35 pm  
Blogger Damo said...

Ah, don't fret Martin, you get used to losing eventually. I'm 3-1 down and counting. :-)

I believe I've got two more lined up - defences of encores and arena gigs. I think I have a better chance of winning one than the other... will leave you to guess which is which.

6:47 pm  
Blogger Del said...

So keen was I to kick the stinking fetid corpse that is Guns n Roses, I actually wrote my prosecution nearly 2 weeks ago. Can't wait.

3:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home